Every winter Innocent Smoothies in the UK asks people (and many grandmothers) to knit lots of little hats for their smoothie bottles.
Called "The Big Knit", these behatted bottles then go on sale in November and for every one sold Innocent will give 50 pence to Age Concern -- who will use the money to provide support to older people in winter including hot meals, blankets and advice on how to keep their houses warm.
Their goal is 400,000 hats or about £200,000. The project is both a goodwill effort and also a marketing one, built on their quirky, friendly brand and good for you products.
Innocent enables their customers with a lot of simple smart online tools to build the effort including:
- a Flickr Group with hundreds of photos of hats submitted by people,
- a How-to Guide to knitting hats with different patterns,
- a blog called Knitter Natter,
- a Hat-o-Meter tracking their progress that you can embed as a widget on your site,
- a Hat of the Week contest for the best submissions,
- a YouTube movie about The Big Knit.